- Colby College, Waterville, Maine, B.A.
- Majored in English
- Baseball - Team Captain, Four-Year Letter Winner
- The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law, Columbus, Ohio, J.D.
- Member of Ohio State Journal on Dispute Resolution
- Pappas Gibson - 2017 to present, managing attorney; 2013 to 2016, co-managing attorney
- Jones, Troyan, Pappas & Perkins - 2008 to 2012, associate attorney
- Gallagher & Kavinsky - 2006 to 2007, associate attorney
AWARDS AND RECOGNITION*
- AV-Rating (Martindale Hubbell) - 2014 to present
- Columbus CEO Top Lawyer - 2017 (in area of asset protection)
- 10.0 Rating (Avvo) - 2016 to present
- Client Distinction Award (Martindale Hubbell) - 2013
- Client's Choice (Avvo) - 2012
* - I've represented hundreds of clients and come across way too many attorneys. I am grateful to the clients and peers who think highly of my work, but all awards and recognition (even mine!) should be viewed with skepticism. If you want to know whether I have the knowledge and skill required to represent you, just ask. I'll give you an honest answer.
- American Bar Association YLD Monthly, May 2015, "Tips on Conducting an Estate Planning Interview"
- Ohio Lawyer, July/August 2015, "Trusts for the Uninitiated"
- Columbus Bar Association Lawyers Quarterly, Summer 2015, "Trusts for the Uninitiated"
- Columbus Parent, March 2010, "Why You Need a Will"
- Middleton Senior Living Lecture Services, 2017, "Basic Steps to Get Your Affairs in Order"
- National Association of Professional Organizers, 2016, "Hot Topics in Estate Planning"
- Landlord Engagement Action Network, 2015, "Limited Liability Companies and Residential Real Estate Investment Properties"
- Columbus Mothers of Twins Club, 2014, "Estate Planning for Families with Young Children"
- Clintonville MOMS Club, 2014, "Estate Planning for Families with Young Children"
- Akron Chapter of the American Association of Individual Investors, 2014, "Update on Asset Protection Techniques"
- Ohio State University Student Financial Planning Association, 2013, "Estate Planning and the Relationship Between Financial Advisor and Attorney"
- Columbus Chapter of the National Association of Personal Financial Advisors, 2012, "Introduction to Trusts"
- Columbus Chapter of the American Association of Individual Investors, 2012, "Asset Protection Through Limited Liability Companies"
- Akron Chapter of the American Association of Individual Investors, 2012, "Asset Protection Through Limited Liability Companies"
- Worthington MOMS Club, 2010, "Estate Planning for Families with Young Children"
- Powell MOMS Club, 2010, "Estate Planning for Families with Young Children"
- Clintonville MOMS Club, 2010, "Estate Planning for Families with Young Children"
what the bullet points left out:
I am a stickler for habits and processes. The only thing I love more than a good routine is improving a good routine. It all starts at 5:35 AM when my alarm goes off every morning, and it continues into the workday, as I always look for new ways to improve on our services and our clients' experience. I am a huge believer in deliberate practice ("practice doesn't make perfect; perfect practice makes perfect") and constant, everyday improvement. As someone else said, but as I can poorly paraphrase, if you are not striving to be the best at what you're doing, then why are you doing it? We practice law to be the best attorneys on the matters we take on. That combination of focus and dogged determination is what really sets our firm apart. And it's that approach, together with a genuine love of client service, the law, and writing, that make practicing law so enjoyable and rewarding. I really cannot image doing anything else, with the possible exception of writing children's books.
In terms of what I've actually written (and pardon the shameless segue), my work has been published by the American Bar Association, Ohio State Bar Association, Columbus Bar Association, and Columbus Parent. I am also a frequent speaker on estate planning and asset protection topics.
While I love being in the office, nothing beats coming home. I live in Granville, Ohio, with my wife and our three kids (ages 9, 6, and 3). We are the proud owners of a 150-year-old farmhouse that sits on a humble 4-acre homestead, from which my wife runs her flower farm, and which we share with plenty of transient deer. If my owl house and American Kestrel house ever work as advertised, we'll also be sharing our property with some birds of prey. Fingers crossed still on this one.
When I'm not pulling my weight around the house by doing dishes and preparing meals, you can find me playing outside with my kids, landscaping, or in over my head on some sort of home improvement project.